Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Jumping In With Both Shoes, or How I Spent My Monday Evening (I just wanted to watch Gotham, sheez!)

     ****Blog was actually written Monday night****
     After I wrote my blog Sunday, I ended up having a discussion with one of my friends which gave me the impression that only focusing on ONE pair of shoes is no longer an attractive trait to have in the age of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. I'm still really confused over how this whole dating thing works but, if it is better to try on more than one pair of shoes at once then I guess I am back in the dating app pool. Heck, I was great at juggling dates in high school. How much harder can it be now? Sadly, I may find out that I'm the only honest person in a game playing world.
     And, not being the type of woman that does anything small, I didn't just sign up for one dating site app, but FOUR.  Plenty of Fish, Tinder, OKCupid, and Zoosk. I have also been on Mormon Match for about two weeks, but I think there are only about a total of 12, TWELVE guys on that website. And one of them is not even a real person. I'm going to blame it on the fact that it is a newer dating site and not the fact that it may very well be a crappy dating site. It's free. I can't complain. I think I'm on another one also but there are never any alerts and I have found no way to delete your profile so I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist. It's easier that way.
     There will be obvious benefits from this shoe shopping tour: A) I'll never have to worry about a boring weeknight or weekend again; B) I'll make friends; C) I'll have plenty of writing material for my blog; D) It will definitely be an adventure, and E) You just never know.  Here's the obvious problem I can see from trying on so many shoes at once: How the heck do I remember who is who?! It was so much easier with just one shoe at a time. Which site was which new shoe on? Who did I tell what information to? How do I remember who has what job or which kids or where they live? My head is full enough as it is with all of my own information, how do I remember every one else's information also? I'm going to have to take notes, I can see. I'll need to work out a code.
     My search criteria? Preferably over 6' (but I will not weed out anyone around 5'9" or up. It's personality, not height that makes the man), non-smoker, over the age of 40, not overweight (he can be pudgy but he has to be able to keep up with me), and can write a proper sentence. This is easy to tell right away just by reading their profile. No capitals or punctuation in the proper places, we have an issue. I'd also like to add positivity to my criteria. Mr. Cranky Pants need not apply. I don't want to hear about how your ex-wife hurt you. Time to move on, please. And I don't mind it if the guy is from somewhere outside of the general Utah area. I'm not tied to beautiful downtown Salt Lake City. Moving somewhere that doesn't have an icy winter would be preferable. Adventurers and travelers are always appealing. Most importantly, please be a nice, honest guy. (Good luck finding that guy)
     I've uploaded five profile pictures, including one nutty one just to get a sense of my personality. One man commented that I was beautiful except when I "pulled faces." Oh well. Block! All of my pictures are recent because it's pointless to use one from years ago. I only have one full body shot, just to keep them guessing.
     I started at about 9:45 last night getting all signed on and within an hour I was chatting with four different men just on POF (Plenty of Fish) alone! I was only able to get signed up on POF and Tinder because of my new friends. I didn't have time to sign up on the other two. By 10:00 am this morning, I was chatting with 12. Of course, I've also blocked about four others just because they were plain icky. Who starts a conversation with "Wow"?  That's it. Nothing else. There are several men that are still on the site since the last time I was a member but, I guess I'm still on the market, aren't I? I shouldn't judge. I did come across one man who put in his profile that he thought we should know that his wife lives 800 miles away. Um, why are you on a "dating" site? (Why am I here again?)
     My first "friend" on POF is a real estate agent with 6 different photos showing 6 different age and weight changes. I'm not sure which is his current weight. By his profile name, I can tell he is obviously a snow skier (I should mention, I am not). He seems to be more concerned about whether I wear socks to bed or if I know how to hang onto the back of a Harley. I think his intention is to flirt, not connect. He's already asking for my phone number to send me pictures. Yeah, I bet. Definitely something to write about in a future blog.  I do have one issue with him, other than his innuendoes: He does not smile in any of his pictures. He even sent me two more pictures via email. Still no smile. You think that after I mentioned the fact that he isn't smiling, he'd at least send me a picture with a smile. Not looking good for this guy. I think he might have bad teeth.
     ****Editor's note: Since I started this particular blog this morning,  I  already have scheduled two dates through POF.  One for Thursday with "Mystery Guy" (doesn't want to give me his name because it thinks it adds to the mystery) who is an artist and set designer for movies. A+ for stuff in common!! Date number two is with "Hans," a German living in Provo, on Friday evening.  He's talking about going to a movie. You don't go to a movie on the first date, kids!! You can't get to know each other in a movie. I'll be honest, he makes me a little nervous.****
     I'll talk about the other dating sites I've signed up on in my next blog since I've written so much here just about POF.  I think I also need to note that I am not a serial dater. It may have appeared at the beginning of this that I am. (Recent rumor insists that I am a "player" or a "cheater". This is not true. Once in a relationship, I am faithful.)
      This has become more of a social experiment than anything else. I don't understand the appeal of someone wanting to date more than one person over someone who would rather be with you more than anyone else. To me, that is more appealing. That one person who shows you that they'd rather focus their time and interest on you. They want to catch a glimpse at your soul, find out what makes you who you are. What causes you to smile and laugh. What causes your heart to practically sing. Your toes to curl. What causes you to sigh. What upsets you or makes you cry. And if you do cry, they don't turn away. I hope I find that one person who touches my soul before he touches my heart. I don't think he's trolling the dating sites, though. I'd be surprised if he was. I know I've had that type of relationship before but it's been a long time. I'm not so sure that I'll find that guy again at my age. The ones I'm meeting so far only seem to have one goal in mind, and it's not to touch my soul.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment