Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I am not that girl!

   
     You know the one:  Average height (generally under 5'7"), thin, large-chested, long blonde hair. The one the men of every dating age flock around. No matter her age, she is the one they are all looking for. Heck, she doesn't even have to have the big chest. If she has long blonde hair, she's the one. I don't know what it is about blondes. "Blondes have more fun"? Does that still work? Why does she have more fun? Because she's the one the men are all hovering around, like sharks around fresh meat? I've watched women like her at dances, in restaurants, even walking down the street. I could be sitting with her, walking with her, or near her and I am invisible. In fact, I'm always surprised if I'm even noticed.
     I was friends with a man and I always accused him of having a "type." He denied it but you could go through his dating history (generally posted in his Facebook photos) and there it was: Proof he had a type. He hadn't even had good experiences with these women. Or maybe he just made bad choices? I don't know but he kept going back to his type. Long blonde hair. Even when he had a new conquest and denied her hair color to me, I found her in his friend's list. Long blonde hair. Did that make me less likely to be chosen as a partner by said friend? Nah, we're not friends anymore because he chose to lie to protect himself over keeping our friendship.  Sounds to me like I got the better deal, don't you think?
     So, for years I've been asking myself, "What is wrong with me?" Horrible thing to ask yourself. Rule #1: NEVER, EVER ask a question you don't want the answer to. But I have asked that question. And I have no answer. Because there ISN'T anything wrong with me. Generally once someone gets to know me, or even shortly after meeting me, they'll discover that this girl doesn't need to be blonde or have long hair to have more fun.
     I am not blonde, although I was actually born a blonde. I've had red hair, blonde hair, brown hair, and now black hair. Why not? You change your clothes. Why not change your hair? The last time I had long hair was about 7 or 8 years ago, I think. It just kept getting shorter as I got older. If I thought I'd look good with long hair, would I grow it out? I don't think so. With my hair, I can be up and out the door in 45 minutes, including shower and teeth brushing. I can roll down the windows and open the sunroof in my car and when I reach my destination, my hair is practically perfect. Just tousle and go. Haircuts are cheaper, although generally more often. I don't need two boxes of hair color, just one. (And when I did have long hair, my hair was so crazy thick, I had to use two boxes of color. )
    What do I miss with short hair? Baseball hats. I looked a million times better wearing a baseball hat with long hair. With short hair? Meh. Not attractive at all. Do I miss anything else? Nope. Although I bet I'd get more dates if I had long hair. haha
    But, I don't want to be blonde or have long hair. Basically, if someone doesn't choose me because of my appearance, I'm pretty lucky they didn't. I like me just the way I am. I feel like my short hair matches my personality: A ton of fun contained in my average, short-haired, tall body. Besides, long hair of any color doesn't guarantee a woman with honor or integrity. That stuff has nothing to do with appearance. It's her heart and soul that make a woman beautiful.
 

 (Editor's note: I have met some really wonderful women with long blonde hair that made me change the competition opinion.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment