Thursday, October 11, 2012

Delta delta delta

So, I got the last seat on the flight from SLC to JFK. I was sweating bullets, ready to ask when the next flight was. My dear friend had more faith than I and kept telling me (via text) "You'll get on". I went from 6/7, to 7/8, to 5/6, to 2/3 (on the wait list) then cleared for a seat. The two hours I waited until I was cleared was pretty stressful.
I was near the front of the plane (which, luckily, isn't like being on the front of a cruise ship...trust me, you don't want a room at the front of a cruise ship), and was lucky enough to have a window seat. But, even after being up since 8pm last night (graveyard, remember?), I never went to sleep. I wasn't even drowsy and I'm assuming God must know what he's doing to help me avoid jet lag. The lady next to me was not as awake. Even with her neck pillow, which I thought was to avoid the uncomfortable napping on the plane, she kept nodding off...violently. Eventually she was snuggled up next to me, even with the neck pillow. I have pictures. Her head on my shoulder.
No food served on this flight. Not free food anyway. You could purchase "food" for a high price. There were the complimentary snacks: pretzels, cookies, nuts. And beverage service. Crummy tv shows I would never watch at home (except a rerun of "Once Upon A Time" and "New Girl" which my daughter loves). And really annoying commercials that lasted longer than a normal television ad.
And does anyone remember when flight attendants were friendly? Yeah, me too. Not a requirement anymore, I guess. Rude, unfriendly. Barbie needed to spend more time with Ken, I guess. She was pretty but cranky.
Right now let me insert that I am in heaven, surrounded by an Italian family at JFK waiting for their flight home. They're just jabbering away in their native tongue. I can only understand a few things (very few) but I love it. I think Italy is truly the place I will find happiness. If only I can find a job...

No comments:

Post a Comment